Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Design Life Now


When I visited the Design Life Now show at the Cooper Hewitt I was expecting to be blown away. I thought the collection was interesting but I couldn’t help but thinking if this really was the widest variety of contemporary design. I thought a couple of pieces were interesting because of their contribution to everyday lifestyle. That is what drew me towards a piece by designers Leon Ransmeier and Gwendolyn Floyd. It is a dish rack made of flexible polypropylene rods situated similarly to blades of glass that gradually get further and further apart. This caught my eye because not only does it hold dishes but accommodates silverware. I thought that this design was incredibly interesting and creative and it sparked my interest in these two American designers work. As for the show as a whole, other designers stood out but these two were in my opinion contributing to our life now using a smart design solution.

No comments: