Saturday, March 3, 2007

Design Life Now - Greg Lynn FORM



I enjoyed the exhibition a lot as I found it informative and ‘aesthetically pleasing’ as well as entertaining. I had also never been to the Cooper-Hewitt Museum before which I thought was beautiful and a great space to display the Design Life Now exhibition.

However, I think as far as layout goes, the exhibition wasn’t put together in a very effective way – there was no real order or any kind of sequence. I felt like everything was just displayed anywhere and everywhere with no real thought or logic put into it. The content of the exhibition is quite random – there is a huge variety of what’s on show so in some ways I can see why the layout reflects the randomness and diversity of all the pieces.

The designer’s work that caught my eye the most was Greg Lynn’s ‘Form’.
In 2003 the Italian company Alessi presented and released the exclusive Tea & Coffee Towers designed by 22 international architects. In 2004 they commissioned the same 22 architects to design a simple, porcelain mocha cup to be commercially produced and sold.
Greg Lynn designed the cups with two things in mind; to allow for numerous cups to ‘fit’ into each other for practical storage and also for the shape of the cup to conform to a comfortable shape in one’s hand. As well as having what I think is a very unique design, the cups are also practical.
Lynn’s Alessi flatware and grill are still in the prototype stage. The flatware, which is due to be launched later this year, has a very strong Art Noveau influence, with the shape of each utensil suggesting a stem, leaf, or flower. I love the free-flowing lines and feminine, organic shapes.
Greg Lynn is primarily an architect and I think his products reflect this. I think his products are innovative, original and have a definite architectural quality about them.
You can check out this website to see more of Greg Lynn's work;
www.glform.com

No comments: